September 2, 2016
Around 15,000 runners will compete in the R.A.C.E. to Serve 6 Fun Run to be held Saturday, September 3, the Civil Service Commission (CSC) announced.
Assembly time will be at 4:00 a.m. at the Quirino Grandstand, Manila. Runners should be at the designated assembly area per category 20 minutes before gun start, which is at 5:15 a.m. for the 10K category, 5:30 a.m. for the 5K category, and 5:45 a.m. for the 3K category.
From Quirino Grandstand, runners will make their way through the southbound lane of Roxas Boulevard, with those participating in the 10K category reaching as far as Le Pavillion past Libertad Avenue, then back to the starting line through the northbound lane of Roxas Boulevard, the CSC said.
Thus, the stretch of Roxas Boulevard southbound lane from Katigbak Drive to P. Ocampo St. will be totally closed from 4:00 to 8:00 a.m., while the northbound lane from P. Ocampo St. to Katigbak Drive will be partially closed from 4:00 to 6:30 a.m.
Motorists are advised to expect heavy traffic and to observe the following re-routing guidelines:
- All vehicles coming from Bonifacio Drive intending to utilize the southbound lane of Roxas Boulevard shall turn left to P. Burgos Avenue to point of destination.
- All vehicles coming from three (3) bridges (Jones, McArthur, and Quezon) intending to utilize the southbound lane of Roxas Boulevard shall go straight to Taft Avenue to point of destination.
- All vehicles travelling westbound lane of P. Burgos Avenue shall turn right to Bonifacio Drive or make a U-turn to the eastbound lane of P. Burgos Avenue to point of destination.
- All vehicles travelling westbound lane of T.M. Kalaw St. going to Roxas Boulevard shall turn left to M.H. del Pilar St. to point of destination.
- All vehicles travelling westbound lane of U.N Avenue going to Roxas Boulevard shall turn left to M.H. del Pilar St., or utilize Roxas Boulevard Service Road to point of destination.
- All vehicles traveling westbound lane of Pres. Quirino Avenue utilizing southbound lane of Roxas Boulevard shall turn left to Adriatico St., right to P. Ocampo St., then turn left to F.B Harrison St., to point of destination.
- All vehicles coming from F.B. Harrison will turn right to P. Ocampo then left to Adriatico St.
- All vehicles coming from M.H. Del Pilar will turn right to A. Mabini towards F.B. Harrison.
- All vehicles coming from Quirino will turn left to A. Mabini towards F.B. Harrison, going Southbound.
Joining the fun run are newly-appointed National Youth Commission Chairperson Cariza Yamzon Seguerra, and Luis Alfonso Revilla and Rommel Niño Cañaleta of the professional basketball team Mahindra Enforcers.
Water stations, ambulance and medical aide teams, portalets, and a baggage depository will be available to runners. The CSC encourages participants to bring their own water bottles for re-filling, and to bring only small bags to minimize baggage deposits.
The Quirino Grandstand Complex, South Road, and Roxas Boulevard are declared ‘No Parking Zones’. Thus, participants are advised to leave their vehicles only at designated parking areas along T.M. Kalaw, Bonifacio Drive, and Roxas Boulevard service road, while buses will only be allowed to park along Bonifacio Drive. Illegally parked vehicles will be towed at the owner’s expense.
The re-routing guidelines for motorists, map of the race route, and complete text of the advisory for participants are posted here.
For a cause
Similar fun runs will also be held by CSC Regional Offices in various parts of the country.
Proceeds from these events will go to the Pondong Pamanang Lingkod Bayani (PLBi), a program that recognizes public servants who were killed in the line of duty. Immediate family members of qualified deceased employees receive scholarships and financial assistance through the said program.
Since 2011, the CSC has granted Php7.5 million worth of financial assistance to the families of PLBi awardees, including members of the Philippine National Police-Special Action Force 44, Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Traffic Aide I Sonny DC. Acosta who was killed in a hit-and-run accident in 2014, and a number of Typhoon Yolanda heroes.
The R.A.C.E. to Serve Fun Run is part of the annual celebration of the Philippine Civil Service Anniversary, which seeks to commemorate the birth of the Philippine civil service system in 1900 as well as to celebrate the contributions and hard work of state workers nationwide.
This year’s theme, “Sigaw ng Lingkod Bayani: Malasakit Para sa Taumbayan, Kapwa Kawani, at Kalikasan” aims to highlight malasakit or compassion with action in public service as a response to the public's clamor for better, faster, and easier transactions with or request for help from government. The celebration is meant to instill malasakit for our health, the environment, deserving public servants, and the Filipino public who are the clients of government service offices.
CSC’s partners and sponsors for the R.A.C.E. to Serve 6 Fun Run (NCR) are the National Parks Development Committee, City Governments of Pasay and Manila, Department of Public Works and Highways National Capital Region, Philippine Sports Commission, MMDA, Philippine National Police (PNP), PNP Aviation Security Group, Manila Police District, Government Service Insurance System, and Maynilad.