The Civil Service Commission (CSC) is encouraging college graduates with summa cum laude, magna cum laude, or cum laude Latin honors to apply for eligibility with the Commission, which may be used in applying for government positions.

The CSC grants the Honor Graduate Eligibility (HGE) to Latin honor graduates of Private Higher Education Institutions (PHEI) in the Philippines from School Year 1972-1973 onwards with baccalaureate or bachelor’s degrees recognized by the Commission on Higher Education, pursuant to Presidential Decree No. 907 issued on 11 March 1976.

The law aims for the immediate absorption of Latin honor graduates in the public service to assure their participation in public affairs and bouy up the quality of the civil service.

“Honor graduates can easily secure their civil service eligibility without undergoing the examination. The fact that they graduated with honors is considered sufficient basis to determine merit and excellence for public employment,” said CSC Chairperson Karlo Nograles.

The HGE is also given to Latin honor graduates of state or local colleges or universities with baccalaureate and bachelor’s degrees included in their charters, or baccalaureate and bachelor’s degrees duly approved by their Board of Trustees or Board of Regents.

Meanwhile, Latin honor graduates from a reputable foreign school, as verified by the Department of Foreign Affairs through the Philippine Foreign Service Posts, may also apply for Foreign School Honor Graduate Eligibility (FSHGE), provided that they are Filipino citizens.

The HGE and FSHGE are types of second-level qualifications that enable individuals to apply for and secure permanent positions in the government at the first and second levels. These positions do not require the practice of a specific profession and are not subject to regulations imposed by bar, board, or other laws.

However, other academic honors, distinctions or awards, such as Highest Academic Distinction, Dean’s List with Distinction, and Honorable Mention are not covered by the grant of HGE and FSHGE.

Applications for HGE may be submitted to the CSC Regional Office or any of its Field Offices, having jurisdiction over the university or college from where an applicant has graduated. Applicants for the FSHGE, on the other hand, may submit their application to the nearest CSC Regional or Field Office where they are currently based.

The complete list of requirements and application procedures are available on the CSC Website at

In 2022, the CSC granted HGE to 15,559 individuals, and FSHGE to only three (3) individuals.